Thanksgiving is a time for family and friends. What better way to express love for your family and friends than by taking care of yourself and them. I thought that I would share some "Healthy Thanksgiving" tips by Dr. Stephen Chaney for to incorporate in your family tradition. Have a blessed Thanksgiving - Pam
While "Healthy Thanksgiving" doesn't quite have the appeal of the more familiar "Happy Thanksgiving" greeting, I used it here to make the point that Thanksgiving dinner (and many other holiday meals) doesn't have to be an unhealthy affair.
After all, there is a lot to like about the ingredients in Thanksgiving dinner. Turkey can be a healthy, low- fat meat, if prepared correctly. Sweet potatoes, yams, winter squash and pumpkin are all loaded with vitamin A and other important nutrients. And cranberries are a nutrition powerhouse.
Here are some tips to make your Thanksgiving meal one that contributes to your health:
1) Skip the basting. Choose a plain bird and cook in a bag to seal in the moisture. Remove the skin before serving.
2) Refrigerate the turkey juices and skim off the hardened fat before making gravy and use a gravy cup that pours from the bottom to minimize fat.
3) Use ingredients like whole wheat bread, vegetables, fruits (cranberries, raisins, dates or apples), nuts and your favorite spices for the stuffing and bake it in the oven rather than in the turkey.
4) Serve your sweet potatoes or yams baked rather than candied and let your guests add butter to taste.
5) Use skim milk or buttermilk rather than whole milk and skip the butter for your mashed potatoes.
6) Give your meal gourmet appeal by cooking your green vegetables with garlic, nuts and herbs rather than creamy or fat-laden sauces.
7) don't serve the meal on your largest plates. By using smaller plates you ensure smaller portion size and even that second helping isn't quite so damaging.
8) Use the Cinch meal replacement products for one or more meals the day before and/or after Thanksgiving so that your total caloric intake over the three day period is not excessive.
By now you have the idea. There are lots of little things that you can do to make your Thanksgiving dinner one that your waist and your heart will thank you for. Bon Appetit and have a Happy, Healthy Thanksgiving!
To Your Health! Dr. Stephen G Chaney Shaklee Master Coordinator http://www.chaneyheatlh.com
*Dr. Chaney has recently retired as a Professor of Nutrition, Biochemistry & Biophysiology at the University of North Carolina Medical School.
This is one of two doors that gets covered with Christmas Cards
OK, so many of you are asking, "How can I display all of my Christmas cards?" Well, I have an answer for you. I can't take credit for this idea because I copied it from my dad who has been doing this since I was a young child. A few days after Thanksgiving, I wrap the door of my coat closet with fun Christmas paper and add a large bow. Not only is this is an inexpensive way to decorate the house but when the Christmas cards start to arrive in the mail, we are ready to tape them on the wrapped door for all to see. This wrapped door of Christmas cards is quite the topic of conversation when we entertain people for the holidays. Our family loves to see these cards so much that I leave them up until the end of January and sometimes into February.
A note of caution - many years ago, while my niece was babysitting our kids, she was looking at all the Christmas cards on the door. She noticed a really cute boy in one of the cards and said that she wanted to meet him. Well, I will spare you all the details but an intervention took place so that they could meet and lo and behold, after years of dating, they married.
You just never know what relationships might transpire from the Christmas door. Enjoy the holidays, it's a wrap!
I know you'll want to read this issue of Making a Difference!. Just look at what you'll find this month:
Oops! Your nutrition is showing...
Whether your nutrition is superior, good, average, or poor, the results will eventually be apparent to everyone! Why? Because your nutritional state is reflected in the way you look, so what's happening on the inside will show up in a big way on the outside. Here are a few examples...
Learn how your nutrition affects the way you look in this article...
Looking good? It could be your nutrition!
How does your nutrition impact your appearance? Can you say that you look like the person you really want to be?
This article will explore how nutrition affects your skin, teeth and gums, hair, and your attitide.
Then we'll tell you about... Nutrition tips for weight loss...
As well as... Nutrition tips for healthy nails...
And... Nutrition tips for your energy level...
The proof of the products...
For over 30 years at Shaklee, scientific research has been a corporate strategy. This commitment to clinical and scientific research separates Shaklee from the competition..;
Learn more about some of the amazing conclusions that have resulted from Shaklee science.
Then read about... 6 effects of good nutrition...
And you'll learn about a unique Shaklee product in... Extraordinary results...
Is there poison in your laundry room?
Did you know that fabric softener and dryer sheets are some of the most toxic products around? Here's just a few of the chemicals you might find in that fragrant commercial softener...
Then learn about Shaklee's answer to these toxic products.
To read about these important subjects in this edition of Making a Difference!,click here
To learn more about...
- health, nutrition and fitness
- cleaning products that are safe for you and for our planet
- natural skin, personal and beauty care
- air and water filtration
- how you can work part-time for a full-time income... from the comfort of your home
...just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and start receiving our FREE NEWSLETTERS & REPORTS.
My wish for your continued great health through Shaklee, Pam McDonald
P.S. If you know anyone who would benefit by receiving Making a Difference! Newsletters, please forward their first name and email address to email@example.com and we will make sure they get their FREE COPY each month.