Sunday, February 20, 2011

DON'T LET THE BED BUGS BITE!



A couple of days ago, my husband, Tony, asked me to look at the rash on his back and stomach that was itching. I wasn't sure what it was but I took a few pictures and told him if it got worse he might need to go to the doctor. Later in the day, I sent the pictures to my sister and she said they might be bed bugs. Tony travels all the time and there have been several stories in the media about bed bug proliferation throughout the U.S. It sure appeared our initial hunch had come to fruition. - Bummer -

Check out the picture to see what his back looked like -


We treated the rash with calamine lotion and Shaklee's Enfuselle Hydrating Toner that has witch hazel extract which is supposed to give relief.

I knew that I wasn't going to sleep another night in our bed. Not knowing if the bed bugs were in our bed and/or house, we de
cided to go out and purchase a new bed which was long over due anyway. After getting over the sticker shock we found a new mattress and bought new sheets, mattress pad and pillows as well.

We still needed to go home and thoroughly clean our bedroom and house. I used another Shaklee product called Basic G (a concentrated germicide). This product is registered with the EPA as a disinfectant #47371-129-7294. It is effective against numerous bacterial, viral and fungal pathogens. I always put a couple of drops in each load of laundry as a preventative measure against who knows what... I am not sure if it will tackle the bed bugs, however, I don't want to use any toxic chemicals if at all possible. We'll see how it works.

For anyone that travels, knowing what to look for might help to prevent getting bed bug bites - 1) check the linens for blood stains from their feces, 2) pull the sheets off and check the mattress and box spring for any blood stains as well, 3) check the headboard, baseboard and walls for any clusters of small white eggs. These suggestions might seem tedious but trust me, you don't want to deal with these annoying critters.










No comments:

Post a Comment